The following individuals are eligible for assistance from Army Emergency Relief:
- Soldiers on extended active duty and their dependents.
- Members of the Reserve Components of the Army (National Guard under Title 10 authority and Army Reserve) who are on continuous active duty for more than 30 consecutive days and their eligible family members.
- Soldiers retired from active duty because of longevity or physical disability or retired upon reaching age 60 (Reserve Components) and their eligible family members.
- Widows, widowers and orphans of Soldiers who died while on active duty or after retirement as cited above.
Where to get assistance:
- If you are on an Army installation or have one within 50 miles of your location, click for AER section contact information.
- If there is no Army installation nearby, AER has support agreements with the military relief societies of the other services to assist Soldiers and their families. Click to find the nearest Air Force, Navy, Marine or Coast Guard facility within 50 miles of your location.
- If there is no military installation of any type within 50 miles of your location, AER has a support agreement with the American Red Cross to assist Soldiers and their families. Click to find the Red Cross chapter nearest your location or call the American Red Cross 24 hour Emergency Communication Center at 877-272-7337.
What to bring with you:
- A DA Form 700, Application for AER Financial Assistance, signed by your unit Commander or First Sergeant. This form is available through your unit’s Orderly Room or downloadable here.
- Your military ID card.
- Be prepared to provide copies of the bills that you are having difficulty paying.
- Reserve Component Soldiers need to bring the current set of orders that place them on active duty for greater than 30 consecutive days.
- The spouse must be able to present a Power of Attorney (POA) if requesting assistance in the Soldier’s absence. If there is no POA, Soldier contact and concurrence for assistance can be obtained through the American Red Cross.